Saturday, February 17, 2007

Changes to Saga

I walked into Saga for an early lunch, since I had missed breakfast, excited by what I had heard. Saga had finally started shaping up. Upon entering the building, I immediately noticed the new signs. No more crummy blackboard with the menu scrawled all over it. No, instead, nice bright cards with the different choices printed in good old font, easy to see, easy to read. I quickly got my card swiped and picked up a tray and some silverware. For once the food actually smelled good! I was totally shocked. This was so much better than what I had expected. I hurried up to one of the lines and picked up a plate with chicken, mashed potatoes, and vegetables. And this was no mushy chicken like usual. It was real chicken, complete with bones, almost as good as you would get at a church dinner. The mashed potatoes actually tasted like good mashed potatoes. And the vegetables weren't all rubbery like usual. Nope, they were real vegetables: crisp, juicy, and delicious.

I hurried into the drink line and started to fill my glass with Dr. Pepper when it struck me. There never used to be Dr. Pepper in Saga before. They had finally gotten some decent drinks, which is a relief. I took my tray and sat down at the Quad 2 table where a lively conversation was taking place concerning a guy here called Jeremey (yes, three E's), who is a total Star Wars freak.

Anyways, lunch passed very quickly, and I popped over to the desert bar to take a gander. I was shocked to see chocolate chip cookies that were actually warm. And not only warm, but nice and gooey with plenty of chips. I quickly selected a half dozen and went back to the table to begin wolfing them down. As I walked back, I noticed the bagel and bread toaster. It was still the same old one that always used to be there. Oh well, I guess some things never change.

I had barely finished my third cookie when I happened to glance over at the toaster and noticed flames and smoke coming out. Yes, some things really never change. My eyes drifted along with the smoke as it curled up toward the ceiling, and then I noticed another new item. Smoke alarms. Saga had never had smoke alarms before, but here was one, right over the toaster. Of all the stupid places to stick a smoke alarm, that had to be the worst. As is to be expected, in a few seconds a loud beeping erupted all over the place. Thankfully, there were no sprinklers, or things could have turned ugly. Needless to say, the alarms themselves were annoying enough, and they seemed to be getting louder and louder.

...

My eyes flipped open and I rolled over, grasping for my watch, which was beeping wildly. I managed to turn it off, and then sank back into my pillow. I stared up into the ceiling, remembered the dream I had and sighed. Another day of school, another day of Saga.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Ja-SON! I thought you were serious and I was getting so happy for you!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

I was too.

Now I wish there would have been sprinklers.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

However, it must be noted that Jason posted. And not only that, but he still has the capacity to trick his family.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw come on, I knew it was a dream before I was halfway through the FIRST paragraph. Anyway, nice job Jason. It's always nice to know that some things about a person NEVER change. daddy

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm sorry. Sometimes I take for granted how good our school does with food despite the fact that I am *sick* of it this time of year, no matter how crisp the vegetables are, or how many bones are in the chicken. It is, after all, still institutional Sysco stuff.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home