Monday, January 08, 2007

Adventure on Sunday

Well, the trip on Sunday started out pretty well, except for an ominous omen. I should have been alerted more because of what happened at the beginning of the trip, but I wasn't exactly looking out for it. Sharon and I forgot our lunches, and we had to turn around. This was only the beginning of our troubles...

The trip through Iowa was very uneventful. Altogether, it appeared pleasant, and hopes were high for the rest of the trip. Oh, if we only know. We switched drivers at the Illinois border, and Sharon continued the trip by driving through this barren and wasted state. I noticed that the car was rocking up and down a lot more than when I was driving, and Sharon stated, rather nervously, that the steering was very touchy. Dark clouds were gathering on the horizon. Ok, well, the weather wasn't bad, but it seemed like clouds were coming...

We pulled over eventually and I got out of the car to take a look at the tires. The front passenger side tire was fine, but a terrific shock awaited me as I swung around to peer at the rear tire. It looked like it was almost completely flat. I mean, the metal rim was only, oh, well, only a little bit off the road. The tire pressure gauge confirmed my fears as I saw a small "8.0" appear on the display.

Fighting off a dark fear that immediately started to creep upon me, I went back into the car and informed Sharon of our grievous plight. Of course, she immediately blacked out, as girls are prone to do in these situations, and I was forced to take action myself. A call to Daddy confirmed that the tire would have to be changed, even though I had thought that this would probably be the required course of action. I hurried around to the trunk of the car, digging through masses of Sharon's, um, junk in order to get to the spare, which was conveniently located at the bottom of the trunk. A policeman stopped by and held off the oncoming waves of traffic that threatened to overcome our puny car, which saved me from doing two jobs at once, I quickly went to work on the flat tire. In a matter of mere minutes, the spare tire was on, and we were ready to go.

I awoke Sharon from her deep slumber, and we quickly headed to a nearby town in order to pump more air into the spare, so that we could take it the rest of the way to Chicago, that monolithic steel city of bad drivers, horrible roads, and, um, whatever other nasty thought one can conjure up. Unfortunately, the air pump at the gas station was broken, so I had to get down on hands and knees and finish the job myself. Nasty work too, at that.

With the tire filled, we could continue upon our merry way. Okay, so it wasn't quite merry. In fact, a large cloud of gloom and doom had settled over our venture, and we could only hope that we would arrive at the airport in time for my plane. As we drew nearer to Chicago, time seemed to speed up. It was as if the very forces of nature were fighting against us. Hope dwindled to a tiny flame within us as the clock ticked away. We finally entered Chicago, and started to make our way through the maze of horribly planned roads and irresponsible drivers. The thunder of planes could be heard overhead. A glance out the window showed the enormous transport giants taking to the skies in takeoff and screaming down in their terrific and terrifying landings. To think that I would soon be upon one of those vehicles of doom. If, of course, time didn't go against us, which it already had, so upon later reflection, I realize that this thought was utterly useless, and my time could have been better spent in screaming.

We got to the busy airport (come on, it was Sunday. Why on earth should it be so busy?). Unfortunately, I couldn't find the papers which I needed in order to pass through security and to board the plane. A frantic search ensued, with fear growing in leaps and bounds. Fear was so thick one could almost see it in the air about. Of course, the forces of nature could avail against someone like me for only so long. I uttered the magic words and sent the spawn of the enemy trembling for shelter. The papers revealed themselves, and I ran into the airport with my heavy bags in tow.

The rest of the story is quite uneventful. My impressive knowledge of O'Hare International Airport, enabled me to quickly get into the correct lanes of travel, pass through security with relative ease, and hop down to the gate for boarding. I had only minutes to spare before the passengers began boarding and I was safely within the airplane itself, awaiting takeoff.

Well, that is basically the whole story. I might write up about the airplane journey, but not now. Unfortunately classes start tomorrow. Or at least, one class does. I only have one on Tuesdays and Thursdays, while I have four on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It promises to be a busy semester.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Oh well done !

You have made votre chère maman laugh out loud, and that is a good thing.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

What is THIS!?!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What? You don't want to admit to the truth?

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is I the voice but by now you know who I am. I like the alias so much that I think I will continue using it. Changing the subject entirely. What is this I hear about someone discovering warcraft 3. if it's true you and I should get together and play some time.

Yours most mysteriously
the voice

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post rocks Jason.
And the writing quality is not bad in places, in my opinion.

-Derek

2:29 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

It has now been 20 days since your last post....

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home